Lump sum entitlements for work injuries

If you have suffered an injury at work, you may have an entitlement to potentially two lump sum payments of compensation related to permanent impairment.   The first category of lump sum payment is called “non-economic loss” which compensates you for pain and suffering, loss of amenities of life, loss of expectation… >

Notification of motor vehicle accident claims

It is important that you lodge a claim for compensation using a specific form if you have suffered an injury as a result of a motor vehicle accident whether as a driver, passenger, pedestrian, or cyclist. Strict time limits must be complied with in order to proceed with a… >

How is COVID-19 affecting my personal injury matter?

COVID-19 has obviously been declared by the World Health Organisation as a pandemic and in Australia developments are escalating rapidly. The COVID-19 pandemic has altered the way some aspects of personal injury claims are proceeding, particularly in relation to the assessment of injuries. The legal profession, the Law Society of… >

5 Festive Tips

While it is the season to be jolly, Christmas and the New Year period is also a time of the year which carries its own unique legal issues and risks. Here are 5 quick legal tips to avoid an unwanted New Year legal surprise! 1. Work Injury The lead up to… >

Compensation for Non Economic Loss

Non economic loss is a term used to refer to compensation (damages) which covers the elements of pain, suffering, disability and loss of amenity of life. Damages may only be awarded for non-economic loss in South Australia if the initial threshold set out below is met. The initial threshold requires an… >

Super Claims

When can a Total and Permanent Disablement (TPD) claim be assessed? When and how TPD must be established depends on a proper construction of the definition of “total and permanent disablement” which must be made in the context of the relevant insurance policy and trust deed. This issue can be… >

What is Compulsory Third Party (CTP) Insurance?

CTP Insurance is mandatory in South Australia. Significant penalties apply if a vehicle is driven or found on a road without CTP Insurance. When you register a motor vehicle, part of the fee is applied towards CTP Insurance. CTP Insurance provides compensation for personal injury to people injured in road crashes… >